Rotation # 4 – Site Visit Reflection

My site visit was conducted with Fahim Sadat, one of our professors that taught us how to read and interpret EKGs. We discussed my site at the Citimed located at the JFK Airport complex, and how it functions as an occupational health clinic. It wasn’t a “typical” family medicine location, as we primarily saw people with on-the-job injuries and did a lot of orthopedic evaluations. We also discussed the importance of evaluating a persons level of function and pain using specific tests during an ortho exam. He provided good feedback regarding my HPIs, as I think that my previous rotations had prepared me for writing better and more thorough histories and physical exam findings. My preceptor for this rotation also had a very specific way of documenting things due to the fact that many patients were involved in workers compensation cases and we may end up as part of a deposition. I think this helped me in being more thorough and less ambiguous with my writing when describing my findings. The article I presented was about SLAP lesions in the shoulder, which was a common diagnosis I saw during my time in FM. The drug cards I presented centered around pain control, such as NSAIDs like naproxen or muscle relaxants like cyclobenzaprine, as nearly every patient was on some form of pain medication. Overall, I received good feedback and I was told that I presented the patient well, so I think that practicing has definitely been paying off.